Champagne spiked with Ecstasy kills one man and leaves seven people in hospital

A man has died and seven other people become seriously ill after unknowingly drinking Champagne spiked with Ecstasy at a bar in Germany.

Police said the incident happened Saturday night in the Bavarian town of Weiden, shortly after a group of people had ordered and shared one bottle of champagne. When police arrived at the bar, they found people lying on the ground with cramps and eight of them had to be hospitalised.

The 52-year-old man died shortly after he was admitted to the hospital. One of the other victims has since been allowed home.

Senior prosecutor Gerd Schaefer said “there were things in it that normally are not in Champagne. It had a toxic, a poisonous effect.”

He added that toxicological tests showed the poisonous substance “in considerable concentration” in the Champagne was Ecstasy, but said it was not yet clear how the drug got into the bottle.

Schaefer said there was a suspicion of negligent homicide but it did not appear that the poisoning was a targeted attack. He did not elaborate, citing the ongoing investigation.

Related posts

The one where Chinese viewers saw a redacted version of the Friends reunion


India records 300,000 coronavirus deaths as cases surge in the countryside


Afghanistan crisis ‘stands for decades of neglect of human rights’, Jolie says


Three people rescued after surviving on island for 33 days by eating coconuts and rats


Culture secretary calls for UEFA investigation into ‘deeply concerning’ scenes at Champions League final


Indian activist linked to Greta Thunberg granted bail after being held over farmer protests